The Pulteney Fire Company was started in 1936, after a raging fire destroyed the Wagstaff home located in the center of town. The only fire equipment the town had at the time were two hand drawn chemical type extinguishers. The day after the fire Wade Logan and Lloyd Norton circulated a petition to obtain permission from the town board to form a volunteer fire company. When permission was granted, 40 members of the community immediately joined to form the “Pulteney Fire Co.” Charles Minnerly Sr. was elected the first fire chief. The members decided that the best location for the fire house was the Wagstaff property. They acquired the land, cleaned up the charred remains and started building.
Pulteney Volunteer Fire Company
PO Box 35
Pulteney, NY 14874
PULTENEY FIRE DEPARTMENT
CHIEF- RODNEY ZIMMERMAN
COMMISSIONER, CHAIRMAN- DON BALLAM